Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sydney just fell asleep on my chest after spending about thirty minutes looking out our dark hotel room window, watching the waves roll in on the Oregon coast.  If only every day ended that way.

I've been reading Harlan Coben thrillers lately.  He has an amazing way of tapping into and expressing human hopes and fears, especially about parenthood and family.  If you enjoy thrillers, try him out.  I even have Sherrie addicted now.  There is a recent French film version of his book "Tell No One" that I am eager to see.  Anyhow, he often discusses the intense protectiveness parents feel and how if we are really honest with ourselves, we will admit that we would sacrifice a thousand strangers for our children.  It has nothing to do with justice or deservedness, it is just how things are.  

In Mountains Beyond Mountains, there is a discussion between the author and Paul Farmer about Farmer's views of humanity and his views of his own daughter.  I haven't read the book in a while, but if I remember correctly, Farmer is ashamed to admit, that yes, he does care more about his daughter's life, health, safety than the children he cares for in Haiti.  He views it as a moral failing.  

Of course, as a father, all of this resonates with me.  I think it is a moral failing, but it is one that defines us as human.  All of us, even the Paul Farmers of the world, are unable to escape it.  Thinking about this has given me new appreciation for the gospel and the language God uses.  Not a new thought, it just hit me in a different way.   

No comments: